Accounts Apprentice - AAT
Reporting to: Client Manager
Main purpose of Role:
To learn and develop within the company, working in the accounts department supporting them as appropriate. Supports promotion of the HJS Solutions brand. This role is based in our Winchester office, working with a small and friendly team.
Major Responsibilities & Duties:
- To attend college relating to AAT programme on block or day release as appropriate.
- Assisting in the preparation of accounts.
- Dealing with monthly and quarterly book keeping on behalf of clients.
- Processing accounting records
- Preparing VAT returns for review
- Preparing account reconciliations for review
- Producing end of year accounts on a bespoke software package
- Preparing corporation tax returns and computations for review
- Preparing personal tax returns for review
- Begin to develop an understanding of generally accepted accounting principles reporting rules, where applicable and financial statement presentation.
- To ensure personal timesheets are accurate and timely so that budgets and forecasts are met.
- To effectively operate all office systems.
- Use computerised accounting software.
- Work closely with the supervisor to obtain and maintain up to date technical knowledge.
- To handle queries from client as appropriate
- To maintain interface with clients in order to resolve any technical issues as appropriate.
- Achieve agreed client objectives.
- To provide support and training to team members as required.
- Any other duties as requested at a level appropriate to this role.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Personal chargeable time budget to be achieved as agreed at the beginning of each financial year
- Customers satisfied with service provided.
- Production of client work to agreed timescales.
- Production of client work to agreed budgets
- Work accurate
- Responding to client’s emails/ telephone calls within 24 hours.
- Statutory timescales met.
- Achieving satisfactory study progression
- To assist achieving team billing targets
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs grade A - C, including Maths and English
- At least 2 A Levels grade A – C (or equivalent)
- Computer literate
- Good IT skills, particularly in the use of spreadsheets
Requires Attributes & Skills:
- Prepared to commit to a college based learning programme.
- An interest in business and finance
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A thorough, methodical and logical approach
- Being friendly and tactful
- Be able to recognise when consultation is required.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to get on with colleagues and clients alike
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to multitask and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines.
- Discretion and honesty when handling confidential information.
Normal office conditions - based in Winchester office.
In 3 years following completion of your AAT qualification we would expect to see indications that you are taking ownership of all assignments allocated to you and working towards a semi-senior role within the team.
Please email a copy of your CV and covering letter to Nicky Brookes email@example.com